You might not have thought about it, but your roof is an essential part of your home and needs to be inspected to ensure there are no problems with it. At the very least, roof inspections should take place yearly. However, winter and spring tend to be the worst conditions for roofs, so you should do your inspections during and/or after these seasons.
Follow these steps for a thorough roof inspection in the Albany, NY areas. If you live in a different geographical area, there may be other steps you may need to take to inspect your roof.
1. Safety First: Before beginning the inspection, ensure your safety. Make sure your ladder is sturdy, and it is better to do it with someone else so that you are not alone should an accident occur. Make sure you are wearing proper shoes the will give you good traction on the roof. Always be sure to take proper precautions as you walk the entire surface of the roof. Do not attempt to climb potentially hazardous peaks and steep pitches.
2. Shingles: The first part of your roof you should look at is your shingles. Are any of them coming off or missing? Are they deteriorating? Are there shingle granules in the gutters? This is a huge indicator that you need a new roof for your home.
3. Leaks: Check inside your home for signs of leaks, such as water stains on your ceiling. If there are leaks, chances are that the attic needs to be checked also for potential mold issues in the rafters and insulation.
4. Roof Age: If you only find slight problems, but your roof is approaching or has passed its 20 year life expectancy, maybe it’s a good idea to replace it anyway.
5. Call Home Evolution: If you decide it is time for a roof replacement, or if you’re simply unsure and need another set of eyes to check, contact Home Evolution!
Remember, it is in your best interest to let the experts take care of important aspects of your home, such as your roof. We’ll get the work done in a professional and timely manner!